Private car insurance covers the motor insurance needs of individuals and businesses using private cars, as opposed to goods carrying vehicles, passenger carrying vehicles, motorcycles and special types vehicles.

Why do I need private car insurance?

There is legal requirement to have a minimum level of third party insurance in respect of the use of a motor vehicle on a road or other public place. Using a vehicle without a minimum ot Third Party insurance is illegal.

Even if a vehicle is owned but not in use, as part of Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) it is an offence to keep a vehicle without insurance unless you have notified DVLA that the vehicle is being kept off the road by means of a Statutory Off Road Notice (SORN).

In respect of private cars, the legal requirement to have insurance is satisfied by private car insurance.

What does private car insurance cover?

The fundamental function of private car insurance is to meet the minimum requirements for insurance as set out in the Road Traffic Act Section 143.

Insurance that only meets the minimum legal requirements is referred to as Road Traffic Act cover. This level of cover of not generally available, and will be used a last resort by insurers when they cannot avoid giving cover due to their obligations as an authorised motor insurer.

The other function of private car insurance is to provide protection against loss or damage to the vehicle itself.

The three common levels of cover are:-

  • Third Party Only (TPO)
  • Third Party, Fire & Theft (TPF&T)
  • Comprehensive

Third Party Only (TPO)

TPO insurance  covers the legal liability for injury to third parties and damage to third party property arising out of the use of the insured vehicle. The third party liability cover given exceeds the minimum insurance requirement of the Road Traffic Act in terms of the limits of indemnity provided and the cover being given whilst anywhere within the territorial limits and not just on a road or other public place as required by the Act. Third Party Only insurance provides no cover in respect of loss or damage to the insured vehicle itself.

Third Party, Fire and Theft (TPF&T)

TPF&T insurance is Third Party Only cover with the addition of insurance against loss or damage to the insured vehicle by fire or by theft only. The cover is usually subject to an excess for fire or theft claims. Loss or damage to windscreens is generally not covered by Third Party, Fire & Theft insurance unless as a result of a fire or theft claim.


Comprehensive insurance is Third Party, Fire and Theft cover with the addition of insurance against loss or damage to the insured vehicle by any cause not otherwise excluded by the policy, and provides cover to the insured vehicle as a result of an accident. In addition to the extra cover  for loss or damage to the insured vehicle, Comprehensive insurance can include additional covers such as windscreen, personal effects, personal accident and medical expenses. The cover is usually subject to an excess in respect of all claims for damage to the insured vehicle. Windscreen claims are subject to a lower excess and these claims do not affect the No Claim Discount.


If you contact us regarding private car insurance using the Request a Quote form we will call you to clarify what cover you need, so – unlike many online forms – no assumptions are made.

We will look through the range of schemes available to us and give you a recommendation based on the information you have supplied, to find you the most appropriate and best value for money policy.

The policies available to us offer many discounts, some of which are:

  • Up to 65% No Claims Discount
  • Policyholder Discount
  • Mileage Discount
  • Protected No Claims Bonus Available
  • Discounts if the vehicle is garaged / kept on drive overnight

We are also able to offer a full motor breakdown service with all motor policies, which is administered by BDAssistance which is provided by RAC Motoring Services Ltd.

Cover is available for Cars, vans and motorcycles, and covers –

  • At Home
  • Roadside Assistance
  • Vehicle Recovery
  • Onward Travel
  • European Cover
  • Mis-Fuel

All this is available for just £75.99 a year!

For full details of the cover provided, please see the policy summary

If you would like us to contact you for a quotation nearer the time of your current policy renewal date, just leave your details on our Request a Quote form and we will call you back.